Airbnb First Time Coupon & Travel Tips
Updated on January 18th, 2020
If you haven’t heard of Airbnb before there is a possibility you’ve been living under a rock for the past few years. So for those rock dwellers, I’ll give you a quick heads up on what you’ve been missing out on and an Airbnb first time coupon to save $55 AUD. I use Airbnb for 95% of the places I stay in when I travel and absolutely love it.
What I love about Airbnb is that for long-term travellers like myself you can find somewhere to stay that feels homey. This is something I really appreciate on a long trip. It’s nice to have a house or apartment to call home even if it’s just for a few days. Having access to a kitchen, lounge room and chairs and a couch, oh my! While I never thought of myself as a couch lover, it’s crazy how much I missed one when I only had a bed to sit on everywhere I travelled.
Still confused as to what Airbnb is? Airbnb is an online accommodation platform which allows hosts (homeowners) to rent out their spare rooms or entire houses to travellers. Airbnb is especially good for people who work online also, it gives you the freedom to have your own space with fewer distractions.
Firstly, if you are new to Airbnb you can use this coupon to get $55 AUD off your first booking!
Disclaimer: Some links in this article are affiliate links, which means that if you purchase through them, I receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. For more information on my disclaimer click here.
Benefits of staying in Airbnb accommodation vs a hotel or hostel
Airbnb accommodation is great for a variety of people. Read on to see if you fit one of the following traveller types and if Airbnb is for you.
- You miss the comforts of home when travelling.
- You have dietary requirements which make eating out stressful.
- You are a budget traveller.
- You enjoy meeting locals when you travel.
- You are a long-term traveller.
- You like to travel and live like a local.
- You like your own space.
- You want more than a room with a bed and an attached bathroom.
If you are one or more of the above types of traveller then Airbnb accommodation is definitely for you. One great thing about Airbnb is the flexibility and variety of options listed on the site.
⇒ See More: Do you still love hostels? Here’s the best hostel in Belfast
What I love most about Airbnb accommodation
- When travelling with one or more people in certain countries, it tends to be cheaper to rent an entire apartment than each pay for a bed in a hostel. Check out the apartment I stayed in Kas, Turkey below.
- There are discounts for stays of one week, two weeks etc. So even when travelling alone, a longer stay can be cheaper than at a hotel.
- I love that after a full day of sightseeing I can come home and sit on a couch (this may seem like a weird thing – but the long-term travellers out there will understand this one).
- I can cook my own food. Not only does this help minimise travel expenses it is also great for people with special dietary needs.
- If you like meeting locals when travelling you can choose to stay in a room in someone’s house. This way you have your own host tell you any tips and recommendations about their hometown. Just make sure you read reviews as some hosts don’t want to interact with their guests.
- It’s nice to stay in one place for a while to avoid or recover from travel burnout.
- Sometimes when travelling I want my own space. While I love meeting fellow travellers. After months of the same small talk, it can be nice to go back to my own place and relax with a book.
- Staying in an Airbnb opens up neighbourhoods which often don’t have hotels. This gives you a better feel for how locals live. Wander around for non-touristy bars and cafes and chat with the locals.
How to use Airbnb accommodation to find somewhere to stay
As mentioned earlier, one great feature of Airbnb accommodation is the flexibility it offers travellers. This starts as early as the search interface. Firstly, add your desired travel destination. From here you can add the dates you are travelling and the
Secondly, add some additional filters to find your perfect home. You can select the type of home you are after; for example, the entire place or a private room in a house. Next, go ahead and add a price range to suit your budget and some amenities which are essential to a comfortable stay. These could include wifi or free parking.
TIP: Make sure to always read reviews. Stay with a Superhost to minimise the chance of anything negative happening like a host cancelling on you last minute. A Superhost is a person who has a 4.8+ star rating, a response rate of 90% or higher, more than 10 stays a year and zero cancellations.
Booking and communicating with your host
When you are ready to book a place, hosts have two options for their guests. They can choose to instantly approve the bookings if space is available or to manually approve guests. For last-minute bookings filter by homes which are an instant book.
Once you have clicked and paid you will receive a confirmation email from Airbnb. Soon afterwards, you will receive an email from your host. Introduce yourself and let your host know when you will be arriving. If you are unsure as it’s in the future you can let them know later.
Now, here’s the fun part. You have a contact in the place you are travelling. Any questions you have, ask them! Most hosts are more than happy to help out. Yesterday I reached out to a host on Vis Island in Croatia and asked if they could tell me the cheapest places to hire scooters. I had a very helpful answer in response and now have three scooter hire places to contact.
How to use your code
Firstly, the $55 credit is only able to be used on a booking of $110 or more. Considering a lot of the places I stay are around $30/night. This is like getting two nights free!
Secondly, the credit is only available to new users. If you already have an account this is an easy fix, sign out and create a new account using a different email address.
Thirdly, click this link to start creating your profile and your $55 credit will automatically be added to your account.
Finally, enjoy staying at some of the best and most unique places around the world!